[Mesa-dev] Splitting a texture between multiple samplers in Gallium

Ilia Mirkin imirkin at alum.mit.edu
Mon May 21 12:34:45 UTC 2018

So ... what do you do when someone attaches max_samplers' worth of
RGBA32F textures to a single stage? My guess is that you just fail to
render and tell the application author, "don't do that". The
alternative is to expose 1/4th of the true maximum, which is probably
undesirable.

Normally these kinds of quirks are handled directly in the driver.
Have a look at e.g. how ASTC SRGB quirks are handled in freedreno --
on A420.0 the alpha channel gets srgb conversion as well (even though
it shouldn't), so one has to bind the texture twice -- once for rgb,
once for alpha. The compiler needs to be aware of this as well.

Hope this helps,

  -ilia