[Mesa-dev] Gitlab migration

Jordan Justen jordan.l.justen at intel.com
Thu May 24 00:49:17 UTC 2018

On 2018-05-23 15:16:58,  wrote:
> On Wed, May 23, 2018 at 5:48 PM, Jordan Justen
> <jordan.l.justen at intel.com> wrote:
> > Why can this only be done with gitlab?
>
> I'm not directly involved w/ decision to move things to gitlab, but that said,
>
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/freedesktop/freedesktop/wikis/home
>
> does provide some rational under the "Why migrate to GitLab?" section.
> There might be a better writeup from the fd.o admins somewhere, but
> tl;dr version is to ease burden on admins and to eventually reduce the
> physical fd.o infrastructure to just the mail server with everything
> else cloud hosted.
>
> For mesa, I'd prefer to stick to the email based workflow (which is
> still an option).  And not sure about wiki, other than that it can't
> be worse than the current random and out of date gpu/mesa related wiki
> pages that already exist.

I'm skeptical that gitlab wikis will solve content issues. :)

> And I'm not strongly tied to bugzilla vs gitlab's issue tracking.

Another project I'm involved with had a contingency that swore
github's "issues" were completely inadequate compared to bugzilla,
which is to say that I don't think there is consensus on this point.
:)

For that (smaller) project, I thought github's issues were fine
compared to bugzilla. For (the larger) Mesa project, I'm not so sure.

> Afaui cgit will remain, so if you don't like the github/gitlab UI,
> you are mostly free to ignore it.

That is not quite the feeling I was getting from daniels on irc. Seems
like they'd be looking to drop cgit as soon as they can. It was a vibe
of yeah, sure, we can keep running that if needed, but we don't want
to.

> And if changing the push URL for mesa is the only real downside for
> making life easier for the admins, then I don't really see the
> problem.

Agreed.

-Jordan