[Mesa-dev] Gitlab migration

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Thu May 24 12:30:28 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 24 May 2018 at 11:46, Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:
> It _is_ possible to bend Jenkins to your will - Mark's excellent and
> super-helpful work with Intel's CI is testament to that - and in some
> environments it's fine, but after a few years of trying, I just don't
> think it's suitable to run on fd.o, and I also don't think it's a good
> fit for what Mesa wants to be doing with CI as a community. (That was
> much longer than expected, sorry: the wound is still raw, I guess.)

I should add that none of this is to denigrate the work Mark and the
Intel CI team have done. It's been great and super helpful to us as a
community, and is a damn sight better than what came before. But for
all the reasons outlined above, it's not practical for fd.o to offer
Jenkins as a service to our community projects. It's also not really
practical for Intel to open up their instance to the community (beyond
checking developer trees) for all the reasons above. That means that
Mesa as a community is dependent on the goodwill and availability of
Mark and the rest of the team.

By comparison, if you want to experiment with GitLab CI workflows,
it's the same thing as Travis on GitHub: fork the project or make a
branch, hack away on .gitlab-ci.yml until your heart's content, then
propose the change by sending the .gitlab-ci.yml changes for review,
just like we review code as well.

Cheers,
Daniel