[Mesa-dev] Gitlab migration

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue May 29 12:09:32 UTC 2018

Hey,

On 27 May 2018 at 16:35, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, May 27, 2018 at 10:47 AM, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
>> Given the number of people who have said they still like the mailing list,
>> that's probably a discussion for another email thread.
>
> It would be kinda clever if gitlab could automagically send patches to
> list when you open a PR.. even more clever if it could link replies to
> those patches on list back to the PR, although maybe that would be
> harder to implement.. that would seem like having our cake and eating
> it too ;-)

Honestly, I can't ever see this happening. GitLab's UI gives you the
ability to place comments at certain positions within the code, to
start and later resolve individual discussions (individually
enumerated subthreads), to open more general discussions or comments,
etc. Given the difficulty we had teaching Patchwork to recognise a)
what a patch was, b) what a group of patches was, c) what comments
were, and d) who made them, I wouldn't trust it to place it correctly
within the GitLab UI.

Basically you fall into the uncanny valley, where the web users are
upset that anyone using mail breaks things completely, and the mail
users are upset that it's much more janky than a pure-mail workflow.

Cheers,
Daniel