[Mesa-dev] GitLab Migration: Users and Groups

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Wed May 30 21:24:28 UTC 2018

On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 1:40 PM, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:

> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 12:15 PM, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net>
> wrote:
> > All,
> >
> > As part of the move to GitLab, we have a few decisions to make regarding
> > users and groups.
> >
> > Question 1: Who should be masters?
> >
> > Gitlab divides users into three categories per-project: Guests,
> Developers,
> > and Masters.  In general, developers and masters will have push access.
> > Masters have the ability to add developers to the project.  Masters will
> > also have the ability to unlock the branch, force-push, and then re-lock
> if
> > needed.
>
> Given that not everyone will be a master by default, it would be good
> to also set out criteria for adding and removing masters. I'm not
> proposing anything heavy -- perhaps by a majority vote of the existing
> masters to either add or remove someone? And presumably also on
> personal request for a master to remove themselves as a result of no
> longer being involved in the project or whatever.)

That seems reasonable to me. Yeah, it would probably be good to decide on
something and write it down so it's clear how to do it in the future when
it comes up.

In the spirit of such transparency, I should probably say how I came up
with that list of nominations. :-)  It was a bit arbitrary but not
completely.  I started with the 2017 git stats top 20 list of contributors:

https://phoronix.com/misc/mesa-2017/authors.html

I took the top 15 and removed people who either haven't contributed in a
long while or who mostly work on the build system and not actual driver
code.  Then I threw in Rob because he's on the top 20 and is the primary
maintainer of a driver that's in active development.

--Jason