[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Thu Nov 29 22:25:06 UTC 2018

Quoting Timo Aaltonen (2018-11-29 10:33:30)
> On 29.11.2018 20.22, Matt Turner wrote:
> > On Thu, Nov 29, 2018 at 9:47 AM Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> >> In Mesa, we have different parts not used by different teams. As such
> >> we tend to remove stuff when nobody is around to maintain it anymore.
> >
> > We drop things for that reason, but also when something is no longer
> > needed. I don't think autotools is needed. As far as I know all
> > distributions have switched to Meson quite some time ago. I just
> > removed the last version of Mesa from Gentoo that we were still
> > building with autotools.
>
> FTR, I converted the Debian Mesa packaging to Meson today, and realized
> that the feature in the upcoming Meson is not needed at all by the
> packaging (it can find llvm-config-N.N just fine..). So I'm fine with
> removing autotools support :)

Yay! (meson LLVM integration maintainer here) we support both the Debian style
llvm-config-$version and FreeBSD style llvm-config$version. The only thing
you'll run into is it always tries to select the newest version, you need the
upcoming feature if you want to build against an older version of LLVM with a
newer version installed.

Dylan