[Mesa-dev] Meson windows v5 (10/19/2018) review

Liviu Prodea liviuprodea at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 21 19:54:31 UTC 2018

1. When using Meson 0.48.x both -Dc_args -Dcpp_args and -Db_vscrt methods of selecting the CRT are ineffective on changing the CRT from MD to MT resulting in build failure if LLVM is built with MT CRT. This issue persists from last time I tested this WIP branch. However if MT built LLVM is indeed unsupported unlike Scons I am OK with it as long as it is documented.
2. Assuming no 1 has been worked around (we have LLVM built with MD CRT available), LLVM JIT-ed drivers like llvmpipe and swr cannot be selected despite resulted opengl32.dll being around 20MB and swr DLLs being built as well only when expected. Tested with GPU Caps Viewer (a 32-bit only software), it reports the driver as softpipe OpenGL 3.1 with 248 extensions.  Since it's 32-bit app I did not attempt to build swr for this test as it's unsupported for 32-bit apps.  It appears this is a really persistent issue as I had it right from the first time I tested this branch. Maybe I need to change the recipe I use to build LLVM so that I use Meson instead of CMake. That would be really unpleasant if it turns out to be the root of this problem. I have this marked as optional and it is on least priority on my TODO list:
https://github.com/pal1000/mesa-dist-win/issues/7
3. More filename parity with Scons similar to

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/dbaker/mesa/commit/f31d0802da6a20b3878a789bb38c9733c4b0ff24#bda6b0f93966e610f473867639a87adfc5437011
- swrAVX-0.dll should be swrAVX.dll
- swrAVX2-0.dll should be swrAVX2.dll
- libOsmesa.dll should be osmesa.dll
4. opengl32.dll built with Meson depends on shared library z.dll. I have absolutely no problem with this but Jose Fonseca may not like this considering one of his replies from the Scons gles option conversations.