[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Mathieu Bridon bochecha at daitauha.fr
Mon Sep 17 17:55:58 UTC 2018

desOn Mon, 2018-09-17 at 10:11 -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 9:46 AM Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com>
> wrote:
> >
> > I feel like for !windows meson is in good enough shape at this
> > point that we can start having the discussion about deleting the
> > autotools build.
> > So, is there anything left that autotools can do that meson cannot
> > (that we actually want to implement)? And, what is a reasonable
> > time-table to remove the autotools build?
> > I think we could reasonably remove it as soon as 18.3 if others
> > felt confident that it would work for them.
>
> Deleting autotools after 18.3 seems like a safe choice to me.
>
> Gentoo has successfully switched to building Mesa with Meson in
> 18.2.0.

For what it's worth, over at Freedesktop Sdk [1] we have been building
Mesa with Meson successfully since the very beginning. (we started with
18.1.5)

We're not going to miss the Autotools. (we're just looking forward to
18.3 so we can build Mesa without Python 2. :) )

[1] https://gitlab.com/freedesktop-sdk/freedesktop-sdk/

--
Mathieu