[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Tue Sep 18 15:35:06 UTC 2018

Quoting Kai Wasserbäch (2018-09-18 07:43:08)
> Hey,
> Dylan Baker wrote on 9/17/18 6:44 PM:
> > I feel like for !windows meson is in good enough shape at this point that we
> > can start having the discussion about deleting the autotools build. So, is there
> > anything left that autotools can do that meson cannot (that we actually want to
> > implement)? And, what is a reasonable time-table to remove the autotools build?
> > I think we could reasonably remove it as soon as 18.3 if others felt confident
> > that it would work for them.
>
> How do I set a specific llvm-config name to look for? I have build environments
> with multiple LLVM versions (eg. 6, 7 and 8) installed in parallel. So far I
> could convince each build system with LLVM_CONFIG or similar means to choose a
> particular llvm-config-${LLVM_VERSION], meson can't do that AFAICT.
>
> Eric pointed me to an ugly hack on IRC, which involves symlinking the particular
> llvm-config-${VERSION} to llvm-config in $PATH
> (<https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/b5b912dfeebabafbaff176fe4205eb74607f709b>).
> But I think this should be fixed properly before making meson mandatory. Other
> modern build systems like CMake react to something like -DLLVM_DIR during
> configure (see
> <https://llvm.org/docs/CMake.html#embedding-llvm-in-your-project>) and Mesa's
> stable build systems use LLVM_CONFIG, if set.
>
> Cheers,
> Kai

This is something we've discussed upstream several times. I will freely admit
that llvm-config is a huge pain in the ass to deal with for a ton of reasons,
and since we don't use it at Intel it hasn't been on the top of my list of
things to do, and also because the solution upstream wants is very non-trival to
implement. This has come up already and I am working on it right now.

The other option you have it to set the $PATH variable, as long as the
llvm-config you want returns the highest version things will work as you expect.

Dylan