[Mesa-dev] Request to revert commit [3d81e11b49366b5636b8524ba0f8c7076e3fdf34] mesa: remove, unnecessary, 'sort by year' for the GL extensions

Timothy Arceri tarceri at itsqueeze.com
Thu Sep 20 23:42:10 UTC 2018

On 20/9/18 11:09 pm, Ian Romanick wrote:
> On 09/19/2018 11:36 PM, Federico Dossena wrote:
>> As most of you are probably aware of, id2 and id3 games store GL
>> extensions in a buffer that's too small for modern systems. This usually
>> leads to a crash when MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR is not set, but what the
>> creator of this commit didn't know is that some id3 games (the more
>> "recent" ones) don't crash, they just truncate the string. As a result
>> of this commit, these games can't detect some extensions and therefore
>> don't work properly.
>
> It sounds like the problem is still that MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR is not
> set, so why not just set it?  Doesn't that fix the problem?

There is no driconfig option for this currently. Personally I'd rather
just sort the extensions (even if it was only for 32bit builds of Mesa)
rather than adding a bunch of code and extra entry's into driconfig.

Or are you saying you would prefer we do nothing and people should use
MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR be required to use?