[Mesa-dev] Request to revert commit [3d81e11b49366b5636b8524ba0f8c7076e3fdf34] mesa: remove, unnecessary, 'sort by year' for the GL extensions

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 15:34:31 UTC 2018

On 21 September 2018 at 00:42, Timothy Arceri <tarceri at itsqueeze.com> wrote:
> On 20/9/18 11:09 pm, Ian Romanick wrote:
>>
>> On 09/19/2018 11:36 PM, Federico Dossena wrote:
>>>
>>> As most of you are probably aware of, id2 and id3 games store GL
>>> extensions in a buffer that's too small for modern systems. This usually
>>> leads to a crash when MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR is not set, but what the
>>> creator of this commit didn't know is that some id3 games (the more
>>> "recent" ones) don't crash, they just truncate the string. As a result
>>> of this commit, these games can't detect some extensions and therefore
>>> don't work properly.
>>

>> It sounds like the problem is still that MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR is not
>> set, so why not just set it?  Doesn't that fix the problem?
>

> There is no driconfig option for this currently. Personally I'd rather just
> sort the extensions (even if it was only for 32bit builds of Mesa) rather
> than adding a bunch of code and extra entry's into driconfig.
>
> Or are you saying you would prefer we do nothing and people should use
> MESA_EXTENSION_MAX_YEAR be required to use?

As mentioned in my other reply there seems to be two type of problems
when dealing with some idtech games:
 - blind copy - leading to crashes
 - copy + truncation - leading to "missing" extensions

Ideally we'll get some driconfig machinery for at least the former.
But in the meanwhile feel free to revert my patch.

-Emil