[Mesa-dev] How to merge Mesa changes which require corresponding piglit changes

Tapani Pälli tapani.palli at intel.com
Mon Dec 2 16:03:11 UTC 2019

On 12/2/19 5:25 PM, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> On 2019-12-02 3:15 p.m., Tapani Pälli wrote:

>>> We attribute the status change to piglit in the CI config, within a few
>>> hours.  The test shows up as a failure in CI until it is triaged.
>>
>> I think we have a problem with current gitlab CI process.
>>
>> Right now if someone needs to update piglit commit used by CI, he also
>> ends up fixing and editing the .gitlab-ci/piglit/quick_gl.txt (and
>> glslparser+quick_shader.txt) as CI reports numerous failures because of
>> completely unrelated stuff as meanwhile people added other tests,
>> removed tests and modified them.
>
> This is at least somewhat intentional, as the results of any newly added
> tests should be carefully checked for plausibility.
>

>> I think we should turn such warnings on only when we have more
>> sophisticated algorithm to detect actual regression (not just 'state
>> change', like additional test or removed test).
>
> It's unclear what exactly you're proposing. In order to catch
> regressions (e.g. pass -> warn, pass -> fail, pass -> skip, pass ->
> crash), we need a list of all tests on at least one side of each
> transition. We're currently keeping the list of all
> warning/failing/skipped/crashing tests, but not passing tests (to keep
> the lists as small as possible).
>
> One possibility might be to remove the summary at the end of the lists.
> That would allow new passing tests to be silently added, but it would
> mean we could no longer catch pass -> notrun regressions.

Yeah, the last point is what I had in mind but it is tricky .. I guess I
don't really have a good concrete proposal currently but I was hoping
maybe someone comes up with one :)

I guess my issues boil down to difference vs Intel CI that there we
track Piglit master so the overall state is 'more fresh'. With current
gitlab CI the issues come late as many commits may have happened. So the
person dealing with the issue (updating tag) does not have the context
of those changes or maybe even expertise about the changes (and what was
expected result), it should've have been caught already earlier.

It could be also that I'm trying to update too big chunk at once, should
go commit by commit and see what happens to the results.

// Tapani