[Mesa-dev] Remove classic drivers or fork src/mesa for gallium?

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 02:18:55 UTC 2019

On Wed, 4 Dec 2019 at 10:39, Marek Olšák <maraeo at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Here are 2 proposals to simplify and better optimize the GL->Gallium translation.
>
> 1) Move classic drivers to a fork of Mesa, and remove them from master. Classic drivers won't share any code with master. glvnd will load them, but glvnd is not ready for this yet.
>
> 2) Keep classic drivers. Fork src/mesa for Gallium. I think only mesa/main, mesa/vbo, mesa/program, and drivers/dri/common need to be forked and mesa/state_tracker moved. src/gallium/state-trackers/gl/ can be the target location.
>
> Option 2 is more acceptable to people who want to keep classic drivers in the tree and it can be done right now.

These both seem pretty horrible to me right now. Like i965 still
supports a lot of hardware that exists right now even if we move to
iris.

I sorta feel there should be a
3) make life harder for classic drivers and optimise things more for
gallium add more dd.h entrypoints, force the classic drivers to jump
through hoops to degallium.

I don't like forking src/mesa/main/* because really 99% of it is just
a GL frontend implementation, most bugs in it will be in a fork and
vice-versa, I'd rather refine the abstraction between mesa and
backends if possible to reduce the overheads.

I'm probably not convinced that any benefit is worth accepting 1 or 2
above, but hey I've been persuaded before to do crazy things.

Dave.