[Mesa-dev] Remove classic drivers or fork src/mesa for gallium?

Tapani Pälli tapani.palli at intel.com
Wed Dec 4 06:20:27 UTC 2019

Hi;

On 12/4/19 2:39 AM, Marek Olšák wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Here are 2 proposals to simplify and better optimize the GL->Gallium
> translation.
>
> 1) Move classic drivers to a fork of Mesa, and remove them from master.
> Classic drivers won't share any code with master. glvnd will load them,
> but glvnd is not ready for this yet.
>
> 2) Keep classic drivers. Fork src/mesa for Gallium. I think only
> mesa/main, mesa/vbo, mesa/program, and drivers/dri/common need to be
> forked and mesa/state_tracker moved. src/gallium/state-trackers/gl/ can
> be the target location.
>
> Option 2 is more acceptable to people who want to keep classic drivers
> in the tree and it can be done right now.
>
> Opinions?

I'm still quite newbie with gallium side of things and I'd like to know
more about the possible simplifications and optimizations that could be
done if this happened. Is this more about 'cleaning up the tree' or are
there also some performance opportunities we are missing right now with
current state?

Thanks;

// Tapani