[Mesa-dev] Is it time to stop using the mailing list for patch review?

Zebediah Figura z.figura12 at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 18:58:45 UTC 2019

On 12/10/19 12:21 PM, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Dec 9, 2019 at 6:07 PM Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I think its time we discussed whether we're going to continue to do patch review
>> on the mailing list, or if it it should all go through gitlab. I think we should
>> stop using the mailing list, here are some reasons:
>>
>> 1) Most development is happening on gitlab at this point, patches on the mailing
>>     list are often overlooked
>> 2) The mailing list bypasses CI which potentially breaks the build
>> 3) Probably more reasons I'm forgetting.
>
> I think effectively we're already there.
>
> What concrete change would you propose?

Removing mention of the mailing list from documentation would be nice.
Also, currently the README implies that the mailing list is not only
acceptable but preferred: "Note that Mesa uses email mailing-lists for
patches submission, review and discussions."

Relatedly, is GitLab preferred also for piglit? The HACKING file there
also specifically prescribes using the mailing list, but I've noticed
that patches submitted to the mailing list by myself and another new
contributor have gone unreviewed for several weeks.