[Mesa-dev] Is it time to stop using the mailing list for patch review?

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 18:35:09 UTC 2019

On Wed, Dec 11, 2019 at 12:02 PM Brian Paul <brianp at vmware.com> wrote:

> On 12/09/2019 04:07 PM, Dylan Baker wrote:
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > I think its time we discussed whether we're going to continue to do
> patch review
> > on the mailing list, or if it it should all go through gitlab. I think
> we should
> > stop using the mailing list, here are some reasons:
> >
> > 1) Most development is happening on gitlab at this point, patches on the
> mailing
> >     list are often overlooked
> > 2) The mailing list bypasses CI which potentially breaks the build
> > 3) Probably more reasons I'm forgetting.
>

> I've had little time for Mesa work the past 18 months.  But I'd say:
>
> 1. I don't think the mesa-dev list should be shut down nor purged from
> the documentation.
>
> 2. I think the complete workflow for submitting patches via gitlab MRs
> should be documented on the Mesa site.  Being a gitlab newbie I wasted a
> lot of time a few months ago trying to figure out the details.  Mesa's
> "Submitting Patches" page is kind of a mess.  It would be great if
> someone could work on that.

Yeah, the "Submitting Patches" page is useless, because it doesn't say the
things that you need to know, and it says the things that you mostly do NOT
need to know.

The steps for creating a MR are:
1*) Click "fork" in the Meso repo to create a private repo where you'll
push branches for MRs.
2) git push your branch into your private repo
3) The "git push" command printed a link to create a MR for that branch.
Open it.
4*) Add labels, then click "Allow commits from members who can merge to the
target branch" and click Submit.

Merging a branch:
1*) Check that all CI pipelines have succeeded.
2) Rebase your local branch and force-push to your private branch.
3) Wait ~10 seconds.
4) Push that branch to master (git push origin HEAD:master). Gitlab will
automatically mark the MR as "Merged".

* these are the only steps when you need to use the web UI.

Marek