[Mesa-dev] 10-bit fbconfigs break most video players using VAAPI+GLX

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 22:30:08 UTC 2019

Hi,

Video players request fbconfigs with these attributes:
GLX_RED_SIZE = 8
GLX_GREEN_SIZE = 8
GLX_BLUE_SIZE = 8
GLX_ALPHA_SIZE = 0

Note that the values specify MINIMUM required component sizes, not exact
sizes. 10-10-10-2 satisfies the requirement and therefore glXChooseFBConfig
returns it first. Then video players choose the first config.

There are many video players that have this issue. I guess they copied the
same code from each other.

If we expose 10-bit or 16-bit formats, a lot of software will be broken.
Any ideas how to get out of this rabbit hole?

My suggestion is to change the behavior of glXChooseFBConfig to return
8-8-8 or 8-8-8-8 first if they satisfy the attributes and ignore the spec.

Marek