[Mesa-dev] NIR constant problem for GPU which doesn't have native integer support

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Thu Jan 3 17:58:44 UTC 2019

On Thu, Jan 3, 2019 at 3:39 AM Erik Faye-Lund <erik.faye-lund at collabora.com>
wrote:

> On Wed, 2019-01-02 at 10:16 -0600, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> > On Wed, Jan 2, 2019 at 9:43 AM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu>
> > wrote:
> > > Have a look at the first 4 patches in the series from Jonathan
> > > Marek
> > > to address some of these issues:
> > >
> > > https://patchwork.freedesktop.org/series/54295/
> > >
> > > Not sure exactly what state that work is in, but I've added
> > > Jonathan
> > > to CC, perhaps he can provide an update.
> > >
> > > Cheers,
> > >
> > >   -ilia

> > > development:

> > > /*
> > > /*
> > > /*
> > > base=0 */

> > > glsl_to_nir.cpp
> > > not
> >
> > This is a generally sticky issue.  In NIR, we have no concept of
> > types on SSA values which has proven perfectly reasonable and
> > actually very powerful in a world where integers are supported
> > natively.  Unfortunately, it causes significant problems for float-
> > only architectures.
>
> I would like to take this chance to say that this untyped SSA-value
> choice has lead to issues in both radeon_si (because LLVM values are
> typed) and zink (similarly, because SPIR-V values are typed), where we
> need to to bitcasts on every access because there's just not enough
> information available to emit variables with the right type.

I'm not sure if I agree that the two problems are the same or not...  More
on that in a bit.

> It took us a lot of time to realize that the meta-data from the opcodes
> doesn't *really* provide this, because the rest of nir doesn't treat
> values consistently. In fact, this feels arguably more like buggy
> behavior; why do we even have fmov when all of the time the compiler
> will emit imovs for floating-point values...? Or why do we have bitcast

Why do we have different mov opcodes?  Because they have different behavior
in the presence of source/destination modifiers.  You likely don't use
those in radeon or Zink but we do use them on Intel.  That being said, I've
very seriously considered adding a generic nir_op_mov which is entirely
typeless and doesn't support modifiers at all and make most of core NIR use
that.  For that matter, there's no real reason why we need fmov with
modifiers at all when we could we could easily replace "ssa1 = fmov.sat
|x|" with "ssa1 = fsat |x|" or "ssa1 = fabs.sat x".  If we had a generic
nir_op_mov to deal with swizzling etc., the only thing having i/fmov would
really accomplish is lowering the number of different ways you can write
"fmov.sat |x|".  The only reason I haven't added this nir_op_mov opcode is
because it's a pile of work and anyone who can't do integers can just
implement imov as fmov and it's not a big deal.

> I would really love it if we could at least consider making this "we
> can just treat floats as ints without bitcasts if we feel like it"-
> design optional for the backend somehow.
>
> I guess the assumption is that bitcasts are for free? They aren't once
> you have to emit them and have a back-end remove a bunch of redundant
> ones... We should already have all the information to trivially place
> casts for backends that care, yet we currently make it hard (unless
> your HW/backend happens to be untyped)...
>
> Is there some way we can perhaps improve this for backends that care?

That's an interesting question...

Before answering that question, let's back up and ask why.  From a hardware
perspective, I know of no graphics hardware that puts types on registers.
On Intel, we assign types to sources and destinations of instructions but
outside a specific instruction, a register is just a bag of bits.  I
suspect most other hardware is the same.  In the hardware that his
particular thread was originally about, you could argue that they have a
type and it's always float.  The real issue that the GLES2 people are
having is that constants have a bag of bits value which may need to be
interpreted as integer or float depending on context which they do not have
when lowering.  They don't care, for instance, about the fact that imov or
bcsel take integers because they know that the sources will either be
floats or integers that they've lowered to floats and so they know that the
result will be a float.

The problem you're describing is in converting from NIR to another IR, not
to hardware.  In LLVM they made a choice to put types on SSA values but
then to have the actual semantics be based on the instruction itself.  This
leads to lots of redundancy in the IR but also lots of things you can
validate which is kind-of nice.  Is that redundancy really useful?  In our
experience with NIR, we haven't found it to be other than booleans (now
sorted), this one constant issue, and translating to IRs that have that
redundancy.  Then why did they add it?  I'm really not sure but it may, at
least somewhat, be related to the fact that they allow arrays and structs
in their SSA values and so need full types.  This is another design
decision in LLVM which I find highly questionable.  What you're is
more-or-less that NIR should carry, maintain, and validate extra useless
information just so we can pass it on to LLVM which is going to use it for
what, exactly?  Sorry if I'm extremely reluctant to make fairly fundamental
changes to NIR with no better reason than "LLVM did it that way".

There's a second reason why I don't like the idea of putting types on SSA
values: It's extremely deceptive.  In SPIR-V you're allowed to do an
OpSConvert with a source that is an unsigned 16-bit integer and a
destination that is an unsigned 32-bit integer.  What happens?  Your uint
-> uint cast sign extends!  Yup.... That's what happens.  No joke.  The
same is true of signed vs. unsigned division or modulus.  The end result is
that the types in SPIR-V are useless and you can't actually trust them for
anything except bit-size and sometimes labelling something as a float vs.
int.

So how do we deal with the mismatch?  My recommendation would be to use the
source/destination types of the ALU ops where needed/useful, add special
cases for things like imov and bcsel where you can pass the source type
through, and insert extra bitcasts whenever they're needed.  This is
obvious enough that I'm going to guess you're already more-or-less doing
exactly that.  Sorry if I'm not being more helpful but the longer this
e-mail gets the more convinced I become that SPIR-V and LLVM made the wrong
design decision and we don't want to follow in their folly.

--Jason