[Mesa-dev] NIR documentation (was: NIR constant problem for GPU which doesn't have native integer support)

Eero Tamminen eero.t.tamminen at intel.com
Mon Jan 7 11:35:28 UTC 2019

Hi,

On 7.1.2019 12.42, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> On Fri, 2019-01-04 at 09:40 -0600, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
[...]
>> Yeah...  Patches welcome?  There have been many attempts by Connor
>> and myself to better document NIR.  They all end up in /dev/null due
>> to EBIGGERFIRES. :-(
>>
>> That said, if you ever want to know how something works, I'm logged
>> into IRC 24/7 and will happily answer questions.
>>

> That's understandable, but even so, at some point we need to reduce
> some bus-factor. Somehow.
>
> Do you have some links to the attempts at documenting NIR? Perhaps I
> could take a look at it during some down-time?

Google search gave me:
	http://www.jlekstrand.net/jason/projects/mesa/nir-notes/
	https://people.freedesktop.org/~cwabbott0/nir-docs/

There are also some Igalia blog posts:
	https://blogs.igalia.com/apinheiro/2016/06/02/introducing-mesa-intermediate-representations-on-intel-drivers-with-a-practical-example/

I assume you've already found them.  If they're still up to date, it
might be good to add some links to them also to Mesa site.  At least I
didn't notice them being referred there yet:
	https://www.mesa3d.org/

(And they aren't referenced in any of the files in Mesa git.)

	- Eero