[Mesa-dev] Thoughts after hitting 100 merge requests?

Tapani Pälli tapani.palli at intel.com
Tue Jan 15 06:01:48 UTC 2019

On 1/14/19 2:36 PM, Daniel Stone wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 11 Jan 2019 at 17:05, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
>>   5. There's no way with gitlab for Reviewed-by tags to get automatically applied as part of the merging process.  This makes merging a bit more manual than it needs to be but is really no worse than it was before.
>
> I'm still on the side of not seeing the value in them. Most of the
> time when I go to pursue someone who reviewed a commit, I'll go to see
> what came up in review anyway. Maybe someone had the same comment
> which was found to be not applicable or otherwise explained away.
> Reviewed-by and Acked-by are also pretty lossy anyway, and freeform
> text descriptors in a comment can much better capture the intent (e.g.
> 'I'm strongly OK with the driver changes and weakly OK with the core
> changes as it's not really my area of expertise').
>
> In other projects, we looked for ways to apply the tags and ended up
> concluding that they didn't bring enough value to make it worthwhile.
> I don't know if that holds for Mesa, but it would be better to start
> with an actual problem statement - what value does R-b bring and how?
> - then look at ways to solve that problem, rather than just very
> directly finding a way to insert that literal text string into every
> commit message.

IMO it brings some 'shared responsibility' for correctness of the patch
and quickly accessible information on who were looking at the change. So
ideally later when filing bug against commit/series there would be more
people than just the committer that should take a look at the possible
regressions. At least in my experience people filing bugs tend to often
also CC the reviewer.

> FWIW, if you go to
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/SHA1 then you get a
> hyperlink from the web UI which points you to the MR. The API to do
> this is pretty straightforward and amenable to piping through jq:
> https://docs.gitlab.com/ce/api/commits.html#list-merge-requests-associated-with-a-commit

I guess if we would move issue tracking to gitlab then we could possibly
automate the CC list generation based on commit?

// Tapani