[Mesa-dev] Thoughts on fp64 for GLES?

Stéphane Marchesin stephane.marchesin at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 19:52:56 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 2:25 AM Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev at gmail.com> wrote:

> Am Donnerstag, den 24.01.2019, 22:25 -0800 schrieb Stéphane Marchesin:
> >
> > Yes, it's for running virgl on top of GLES. To emulate fp64 in GL on
> > the guest side, we need fp64 on the host...
>
> BTW: we could also get it emulated from the guest side. When Elie (in
> CC)  initially proposed the fp64 emulation series it was for r600 and
> TGSI was emitted. The created shaders are horribly long and it is
> certainly not performant, but if it's just for getting OpenGL 4.0
> exposed it should be good enough.

Yes, Ilia suggested this on IRC yesterday. My impression is that not
many applications/games need high performance fp64 (it's likely mostly
compute stuff, which is not our target). I could be wrong though. If
anyone knows differently, please tell us :)

> I'm not sure though how much work it would be to add this to the soft
> fp64 as it has now landed for NIR, though.

Yes, with virgl not using NIR, I am not sure how much work soft fp64
will require.

Stéphane