[Mesa-dev] Thoughts after hitting 100 merge requests?

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Fri Jan 25 23:24:42 UTC 2019

On Fri, Jan 25, 2019 at 4:26 PM Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:

> Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I guess as discovered with
> > https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/merge_requests/47 maybe we
> > should wait to turn on merging MRs via web until we have at least some
> > basic build-test CI wired up.. the downside is slower 'maintainer'
> > response (if I am working on some long running branch I tend to
> > postpone pushing changes from others until I am in a good state to
> > rebase, but at least when I merge things via cmdline I do a build test
> > and sanity test on at at least one driver ;-))
>
> We should be days, not weeks, away from having build-test CI wired up.
> I actually thought Igalia was supposed to be working on it again
> already, but then Eric Engestrom started working on a new variation, so
> I'm not sure what's going on.
>
> I'm skeptical that we need to do an MR policy change given that
> build-breakage and especially unit-test-breakage has been a recurring
> issue in the absence of CI, even before MRs.

Ok, that is good news that it is close, I think if it is just a matter
of days (or even a week or two), we shouldn't change the process.  If
it would be more of a longer term thing I'd worry about breaking the
build too frequently compared to the less convenient cmdline process..

(Hmm, I guess I should take a look at what sort of API gitlab offers,
but that will probably have to wait until after the branchpoint.. tbh
I'd actually be pretty happy w/ a gitlab equiv of 'git pw as -s' for
merging things from cmdline.)

BR,
-R