[Mesa-dev] Thoughts after hitting 100 merge requests?

Erik Faye-Lund erik.faye-lund at collabora.com
Tue Jan 29 09:27:52 UTC 2019

On Mon, 2019-01-28 at 17:20 -0500, Rob Clark wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 28, 2019 at 2:29 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu>
> wrote:
> > 2. I've seen a bunch of things land where I would have had comments
> > beforehand. Once the patch is in, I don't really have an easy way
> > provide feedback. In the past if such a thing would happen, I just
> > take the subject of the patch, pop it into the search in gmail, and
> > reply to the email. It's unclear what I should do now -- for most
> > things thus far, just pinging on IRC has worked out, but there's
> > nowhere to either see the discussion that led to the change nor to
> > provide post-commit feedback. In most places where I've done
> > "tracked"
> > reviews, there's linkage in the commit message to be able to find
> > the
> > reviews in the review system.
>
> it would be nice to see gitlab injecting some tags (not just r-b, but
> also a link back to the MR) into the git commit msg

They kinda do, just not in the commit message:

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/commit/3cb65cf8aa090c39b520ae26fa32097ad18fd067

Notice there's a "1 merge request !75"-link in there. That takes you
back to the MR. This should be present for all commits in a merge
request.

If you want to access this information from the command-line, you can
setup a fetch-spec for the merge-requests, like so:

git config --add remote.origin.fetch +refs/merge-
requests/*/head:refs/remotes/origin/merge-requests/*

Make sure you've fetched the remote first, and do this:

$ git describe --all --contains 3cb65cf
remotes/origin/merge-requests/75