[Mesa-dev] [MR] Update README to recommend MRs instead of `git send-email`

Kristian Høgsberg hoegsberg at gmail.com
Tue Jul 9 16:19:37 UTC 2019

On Tue, Jul 9, 2019 at 12:17 AM Daniel Stone <daniel at fooishbar.org> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 at 18:39, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> > I see this as driving away contributions, esp from new people. MR's
> > are annoying to create, since they require dealing with the hosting
> > provider, getting it to host clones, etc. Everyone has email.
>
> My position - and the evidence of velocity from projects who have
> switched - is already pretty clear, but you might be interested to
> read that even kernel.org admins are trying to move away from email:
> https://people.kernel.org/monsieuricon/patches-carved-into-developer-sigchains

I have the same experience - I've used git since before it was usable
and I'm more than happy to not have to worry about making git
send-email work. I'm pretty sure that gitlab in general lowers the bar
for contributions considerably, I know I find my self doing a lot more
reviews and drive-by comments because of how easy it feels.