[Mesa-dev] [RFC 0/2] Alternate default config mechanism

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed May 15 13:56:11 UTC 2019

Hi all,

On Tue, 14 May 2019 at 08:18, Tapani Pälli <tapani.palli at intel.com> wrote:

> On 5/13/19 6:52 PM, Haehnle, Nicolai wrote:
> > This approach seems entirely incompatible with si_debug_options.h, and
> > will be an absolute maintenance nightmare going forward for adding /
> > removing options, because you're introducing a second location where
> > options are defined.
> >
> > Quite frankly, this seems like a terrible idea as-is.
> >
> > If you really can't use XML for whatever reason, then please find some
> > way of deriving both the tables here and the XML from the same single
> > source of truth.
>
> I was looking at this yesterday and came up with same conclusion. We
> should have the options in one place. Currently libexpat is statically
> linked with Android >=O, maybe for such restricted environments we could
> just inline the xml as is at compile time and parse that later or
> alternatively (maybe cleaner) parse and generate default option cache
> already during compilation?

I realise that jumping the "me too" train does not help much, so here
are some alternative ideas.

How about we first distil the reasons why this is a problem and what
kind. Then explore independent solution for each one - as-is this
seems like a one-size-fits-all approach.
Some examples:
 - XML file may be inaccessible - the in-driver defaults should work(tm)
Yes there are some app specific ones, yet neither(?) of these apps is
present on Android
 - libexpat is not available, but libFOO is - investigate into a compat wrapper
 - cannot use external libraries (libexpat or equivalent) - static link

-Emil