[Mesa-dev] Hardware assisted (VDPAU) decoding of MPEG-2 causes GPU lockup on Radeon HD6320

Will DeBerry wdeberry at getwellnetwork.com
Wed Nov 27 17:35:12 UTC 2019

Hi all,

I am reaching out hoping to get some assistance with resolving a bug/crash
that we see with the GPU when using VDPAU hardware acceleration on Ubuntu
16.04. This is specific to the r600 drivers interacting with VDPAU when
trying to playback certain mpeg2 content.

*GPU in question per lscpi: *
00:01.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Wrestler [Radeon HD 6320]

We are highly invested in this GPU and would love to get this addressed as
soon as possible and are also willing to sponsor this work if needed.

*Steps to Recreate:*

   1. Launch VLC with VDPAU hardware acceleration and deinterlacing enabled
   2. Play the attached piece of known bad content
   3. Wait for GPU lockup

Per dmesg, the GPU thread gets locked up within the kernel and thus breaks
all GUI related activities until the PC is rebooted.

*Mesa Version Tested:*
18.0.5-0ubuntu0~16.04.1
18.2.8-2~bpo9+1

Let me know if you have any questions or are interested in discussing this
further.

Thanks,

--

*Will DeBerry*

Manager, Client Devices

GetWellNetwork

o: 240.482.4237 | m: 813.330.0121 | getwellnetwork.com
<https://www.getwellnetwork.com/>

Join us for GetConnected 2020!  REGISTER TODAY
<https://www.getconnected2020.com/>