[Mesa-dev] Release workflow with gitlab issues

Adam Jackson ajax at redhat.com
Wed Sep 18 19:15:32 UTC 2019

On Wed, 2019-09-18 at 12:08 -0700, Mark Janes wrote:
> Adding the release managers to the CC to make sure they see the thread...
>
> Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> writes:
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Since we're migrating to gitlab issues, it seems like a good time to review how
> > we track stable releases, particularly release blockers.

For the avoidance of doubt and confusion, I don't plan to migrate any
of the components with bugs on the 19.2 release tracker until 19.2 is
actually released.

> > I'd like to use a gitlab milestone as a replacement for the tracker issues from
> > gitlab. The process would work much the same way as it does now, but with a
> > milestone.
>
> Right now, anyone can create milestones.  Is there a way to limit the
> capability to release managers?  Would that be desirable?
>
> I see the same issue with labels...  Anyone could delete a label, and
> I'm not sure how we would recover that information.

Strictly, the "Reporter" access level and above can manage labels,
milestones require "Developer" or above. Not super meaningful since the
mesa group really only has Developer or above.

I'm not super worried about it to be honest, people tend not to be
malicious.

> > We'll also need to replace the Bugzilla: tag with a tag that gitlab recognizes
> > for closing issues. Since we already use "Fixes:" for something else, I'd like
> > to propose "Closes:"
> >
> > so we'd replace:
> >     Buzilla: https://...
> > with:
> >     Closes: !0
>
> A more exact replacement would be:
>       Gitlab: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/issues/{issue}
>
> Is there an advantage to the !{issue} format?  Perhaps gitlab parses it
> and closes the issue?

gitlab can parse both the !nnn format and full URLs, and yes, it does
close issues when a commit with such a Closes: line is merged.

- ajax