[Mesa-dev] Gitlab Labels

Roman Gilg subdiff at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 15:25:59 UTC 2020

On Tue, Aug 11, 2020 at 2:21 PM Mike Blumenkrantz
<michael.blumenkrantz at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was thinking it'd be nice to have labels in Mesa for difficulty in order to help both newer and more experienced contributors choose issues/MRs which fit their level of comfort and available time. This might look like:
>
> * easy
> * challenging
> * impossible

I think that's a good idea and as an example I created a system like
this in KWinFT [1]. There I'm using scoped labels which are to my
knowledge at the moment not yet available in the open source version
of GitLab, but it can also be done without this feature.

I chose also three levels and named them:
* beginner
* intermediate
* expert

In the hope that these terms are easy to understand and also to some
degree are motivating but sound neither condescending nor pretentious
(expert maybe but it fitted the other ones).

Colors are light blue, yellow, dark-orange and the label description
is always "difficulty to solve the issue is estimated to be {low,
middle, high}".

With good label descriptions I don't think there needs to be separate
documentation. One problem that might arise is that these labels only
are useful when people actually use them and you can forget easily
about them. I also always have to remind myself to add them to new
issues.

Cheers
Roman

[1] https://gitlab.com/groups/kwinft/-/issues