[Mesa-dev] Playing with display timing -- VK_MESA_present_period

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.org
Fri Feb 7 21:19:39 UTC 2020

Michel Dänzer <michel at daenzer.net> writes:

> With variable refresh rate, it could certainly be useful for the kernel
> to have this information as early as possible. It shouldn't make any
> difference with fixed refresh though, since the kernel should always be
> able to hit the next refresh in that case as long as the fences for the
> flip signal in time for vertical blank.

Although, if the application is mixing present_period and display_timing
operations, things can still get mixed up -- a frame with present_period
followed by a frame with display_timing can invalidate the computed next
frame time. Applications doing that may not get the best possible
result...

Ok, it sounds like I should at least go clean up the implementation and
make it into something not quite so embarrassing to me.

Going forward, how can we provide this to application developers for
experimentation? Would we consider including it in a release once
reviewed within the Mesa community?

--
-keith