[Mesa-dev] [Intel-gfx] gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Nicholas Krause xerofoify at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 01:51:58 UTC 2020

On 2/28/20 4:22 PM, Daniel Vetter wrote:
> [...]
>> large amounts of money without checks and bounds.
>>
>> The CI infrastructure lacks any checks and bounds. There is no link
>> between editing .gitlab-ci/* and cashflow. There is no link to me
>> adding support for a new feature to llvmpipe that blows out test times
>> (granted it won't affect CI budget but just an example).
> We're working to get the logging in place to know which projects
> exactly burn down the money so that we can take specific actions. If
> needed. So pretty soon you wont be able to just burn down endless
> amounts of cash with a few gitlab-ci commits. Or at least not for long
> until we catch you and you either fix things up or CI is gone for your
> project.
>
>> The fact that clouds run on credit means that it's not possible to say
>> budget 30K and say when that runs out it runs out, you end up getting
>> bills for ever increasing amounts that you have to cover, with nobody
>> "responsible" for ever reducing those bills. Higher Faster Further
>> baby comes to mind.
> We're working on this, since it's the boards responsibility to be on
> top of stuff. It's simply that we didn't expect a massive growth of
> this scale and this quickly, so we're a bit behind on the controlling
> aspect.
>
> Also I guess it wasnt clear, but the board decision yesterday was the
> stop loss order where we cut the cord (for CI at least). So yeah the
> short term budget is firmly in place now.
>
>> Has X.org actually allocated the remaining cash in it's bank account
>> to this task previously? Was there plans for this money that can't be
>> executed now because we have to pay the cloud fees? If we continue to
>> May and the X.org bank account hits 0, can XDC happen?
> There's numbers elsewhere in this thread, but if you'd read the
> original announcement it states that the stop loss would still
> guarantee that we can pay for everything for at least one year. We're
> not going to get even close to 0 in the bank account.
>
> So yeah XDC happens, and it'll also still happen next year. Also fd.o
> servers will keep running. The only thing we might need to switch off
> is the CI support.
>
>> Budgeting and cloud is hard, the feedback loops are messy. In the old
>> system the feedback loop was simple, we don't have admin time or money
>> for servers we don't get the features, cloud allows us to get the
>> features and enjoy them and at some point in the future the bill gets
>> paid by someone else. Credit cards lifestyles all the way.
> Uh ... where exactly do you get the credit card approach from? SPI is
> legally not allowed to extend us a credit (we're not a legal org
> anymore), so if we hit 0 it's out real quick. No credit for us. If SPI
> isnt on top of that it's their loss (but they're getting pretty good
> at tracking stuff with the contractor they now have and all that).
>
> Which is not going to happen btw, if you've read the announcement mail

Sorry to enter mid conversation. You may want to see how the
GCC test Farm does it or the Yocto Project. I do get their different
projects but they seem to be managing fine. I'm not sure of
their funding but I do recall that a lot of the machines I use
for work on the farm are donated from IBM or some company.

Not sure if you can get a company(ies) to donate some machines
and store them in a data center like GCC or the Yocto Project,

Nick