[Mesa-dev] [Intel-gfx] gitlab.fd.o financial situation and impact on services

Timur Kristóf timur.kristof at gmail.com
Sat Feb 29 18:14:04 UTC 2020

On Fri, 2020-02-28 at 10:43 +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Feb 2020 at 10:06, Erik Faye-Lund
> <erik.faye-lund at collabora.com> wrote:
> > On Fri, 2020-02-28 at 11:40 +0200, Lionel Landwerlin wrote:
> > > Yeah, changes on vulkan drivers or backend compilers should be
> > > fairly
> > > sandboxed.
> > >
> > > We also have tools that only work for intel stuff, that should
> > > never
> > > trigger anything on other people's HW.
> > >
> > > Could something be worked out using the tags?
> >
> > I think so! We have the pre-defined environment variable
> > CI_MERGE_REQUEST_LABELS, and we can do variable conditions:
> >
> > https://docs.gitlab.com/ee/ci/yaml/#onlyvariablesexceptvariables
> >
> > That sounds like a pretty neat middle-ground to me. I just hope
> > that
> > new pipelines are triggered if new labels are added, because not
> > everyone is allowed to set labels, and sometimes people forget...
>
> There's also this which is somewhat more robust:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/merge_requests/2569

My 20 cents:

1. I think we should completely disable running the CI on MRs which are
marked WIP. Speaking from personal experience, I usually make a lot of
changes to my MRs before they are merged, so it is a waste of CI
resources.

2. Maybe we could take this one step further and only allow the CI to
be only triggered manually instead of automatically on every push.

3. I completely agree with Pierre-Eric on MR 2569, let's not run the
full CI pipeline on every change, only those parts which are affected
by the change. It not only costs money, but is also frustrating when
you submit a change and you get unrelated failures from a completely
unrelated driver.

Best regards,
Timur