[Mesa-dev] NLNet Funded development of a software/hardware MESA driver for the Libre GPGPU

Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton lkcl at lkcl.net
Mon Jan 13 17:26:43 UTC 2020

On Monday, January 13, 2020, Jacob Lifshay <programmerjake at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 9, 2020 at 3:56 AM Luke Kenneth Casson Leighton
> <lkcl at lkcl.net> wrote:
> >

> > jacob perhaps you could clarify, here?
>
> So the major issue with the approach AMDGPU took where the SIMT to
> predicated vector translation is done by the LLVM backend is that LLVM
> doesn't really maintain a reducible CFG, which is needed to correctly
> vectorize the code without devolving to a switch-in-a-loop.

> Hopefully, that all made sense. :)

yes :) as you're actively designing this you have a way better handle on it.

also, therefore, to be clear, to anyone interested in receiving funding to
do this work, you can see that there will be someone else to work with who
knows what they're doing, technically.

thank you jacob.

jason i'd be interested to hear your thoughts on what jacob wrote, does it
alleviate your concerns, (we're not designing hardware specifically around
vec2/3/4, it simply has that capability).

l.

--
---