[Mesa-dev] [EXT] Re: GLES 3.2 support for android

Tapani Pälli tapani.palli at intel.com
Wed Jul 22 05:30:40 UTC 2020

Hi;

Sorry for very late answer, I've managed to miss this mail.

On 6/18/20 2:06 PM, Vinay Kumar Madaralli Panchakshari wrote:
> Hi Tapani,
>
>   Thanks for the info.
>
> <Reply to your comments are inline below>
>
> ------------
>
> Hi;
>
> On 6/17/20 11:51 AM, Vinay Kumar Madaralli Panchakshari wrote:
>> Dear mesa-dev team,
>>
>> Is there a support for GLES 3.2 ?
>
> What kind of hardware and Android version/release are you using?
>>> [VINAY] : Android-9 (Pie) a9_r42 revision.
>                     Mesa version- 20.1.0
>                     Underlying host GPU - case 1: AMD RX500 and Vega series  (with mesa UMD driver)
>                                                              case 2 : Nvidia T4
>

>> The latest we are using on android points to 3.1 version.
>>

> While in practice there may be 3.2 support from the drivers, Android itself might be configured (this is a build time configuration) to advertise support for OpenGL ES 3.1 + Android extension pack (AEP).
>>> [VINAY] : May be this is true.
>                        If so, Is it supported/feasible to reconfigure it for 3.2 provided the above details.

You can try to configure this by setting ro.opengles.version:
ro.opengles.version=196610

This setting is in the 'build.prop' file which may be generated during
the build depending on what kind of android sources you are building.
Sometimes this is set in device.mk with following:

PRODUCT_PROPERTY_OVERRIDES  += ro.opengles.version=196610

For individual applications you can also try to toggle this during
runtime (I don't know if that really works though):

setprop ro.opengles.version=196610

Hopefully this helps!