[Mesa-dev] Remove classic drivers or fork src/mesa for gallium?

Eric Engestrom eric at engestrom.ch
Sun Mar 29 21:28:21 UTC 2020

On 2020-03-29 at 20:58, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net> wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 29, 2020 at 11:45 AM Kristian Høgsberg <hoegsberg at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > As for loading, doesn't glvnd solve that?
>
> Not really.  There are still problems if you have HW drivers from both
> repos on the same system and someone has to decide which one to use.
> We would either have to come up with a good solution to that problem
> or we would have to delete/disable all of the drivers still in master
> in the LTS branch.  In any case, there are real problems to solve
> there.

That's a simple packaging issue, and IMO it's ok to just say in the announcement
email "this 'legacy drivers' branch also contains old versions of the new
drivers. If you ship both these and a modern version of Mesa, make sure
not to build the same drivers from both trees".

Packagers will then pick the right `-D{dri,gallium,vulkan}-drivers=` lists
to avoid collisions on their distros.