[Mesa-dev] RFC: Memory allocation on Mesa

Brian Paul brianp at vmware.com
Tue May 12 02:58:42 UTC 2020

On 05/11/2020 10:13 AM, Jose Fonseca wrote:
> Hi,
>
> To give everybody a bit of background context, this email comes from
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/issues/2911 .
>
> The short story is that Gallium components (but not Mesa) used to have
> their malloc/free calls intercepted, to satisfy certain needs: 1) memory
> debugging on Windows, 2) memory accounting on embedded systems.  But
> with the unification of Gallium into Mesa, the gallium vs non-gallium
> division got blurred, leading to some mallocs being intercepted but not
> the respective frees, and vice-versa.
>

> I admit that trying to intercept mallocs/frees for some components and
> not others is error prone.  We could get this going on again, it's
> doable, but it's possible it would keep come causing troubles, for us or
> others, over and over again.
>

> The two needs mentioned above were mostly VMware's needs.  So I've
> reevaluated, and I /think/ that with some trickery we satisfy those two
> needs differently.  (Without wide spread source code changes.)
>

> On the other hand, VMware is probably not the only one to have such
> needs.  In fact Vulkan spec added memory callbacks precisely with the
> same use cases as ours, as seen
> https://www.khronos.org/registry/vulkan/specs/1.2/html/chap10.html#memory-host which
> states:
>
>     /Vulkan provides applications the opportunity to perform host memory
>     allocations on behalf of the Vulkan implementation. If this feature
>     is not used, the implementation will perform its own memory
>     allocations. Since most memory allocations are off the critical
>     path, this is not meant as a performance feature. *Rather, this can
>     be useful for certain embedded systems, for debugging purposes (e.g.
>     putting a guard page after all host allocations), or for memory
>     allocation logging.*/
>

> And I know there were people interested in having Mesa drivers on
> embedded devices on the past (the old Tunsten Graphics having even been
> multiple times hired to do so), and I'm pretty sure they exist again.
>

> Therefore, rather than shying away from memory allocation abstractions
> now, I wonder if now it's not the time to actually double down on them
> and ensure we do so comprehensively throughout the whole mesa, all drivers?
> *
> *
> After all Mesa traditionally always had MALLOC*/CALLOC*/FREE wrappers
> around malloc/free.  As so many other projects do.
>

> More concretely, I'd like to propose that we:
>
>   * ensure all components use MALLOC*/CALLOC*/FREE and never
>     malloc/calloc/free directly (unless interfacing with a 3rd party
>     which expects memory to be allocated/freed with malloc/free directly)
>   * Perhaps consider renaming MALLOC -> _mesa_malloc etc while we're at it
>   * introduce a mechanisms to quickly catch any mistaken use of
>     malloc/calloc/free, regardless compiler/OS used:
>       o #define malloc/free/calloc as malloc_do_not_use/free_do_not_use
> [...]

I was tinkering with this on Friday.  My initial idea is to use an
opt-in approach for memory tracking/debugging.  That is, where we care
about tracking/debugging we use explicit alternates to malloc/free/etc.

malloc/free/MALLOC/CALLOC_STRUCT/etc are used in thousands of places in
Mesa/gallium and touching all of them seems like a hard way to go -
maybe not so much technical as people just not liking it for various
reasons.

I prototyped a u_trackmem.h header with u_trackmem_malloc(), functions,
etc.  That header also does "#define malloc dont_call_malloc_here" to
try to prevent use of malloc/free in the .c code.  u_trackmem.h would
typically have to be the last #include in a .c file.

I think redefining malloc/free in the .h file is better than the -D
compiler option because as soon as we include a .h file which uses
malloc/free we get a big mess.

u_trackmem.h attached.

-Brian