[Mesa-dev] New Mesa3D.org website proposal

Erik Faye-Lund erik.faye-lund at collabora.com
Wed May 13 09:13:38 UTC 2020

On Tue, 2020-05-12 at 12:17 +0200, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> On Thu, 2020-05-07 at 11:03 -0600, Brian Paul wrote:
> > On 05/07/2020 04:33 AM, Erik Faye-Lund wrote:
> > > Hey Brian
> > > 
> > > TLDR; are you OK with me moving forward with the rework of
> > > mesa3d.org?
> > 
> > Yes...
> > 
> Cool! We've now set up a repo here:
> https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa3d.org
> I pushed the bare minimum (ish) there so far, and sent a MR for the
> importing of the news and article-redirects. This is now being served
> here:
> https://mesa.pages.freedesktop.org/mesa3d.org/

A few updates:

1. You can now preview the repo with the pending MRs merged here, if
you're interested:

2. Some people have been asking me why the website is set up as a
separate repo rather than a subdirectory inside the main mesa repo.

The quick answer to that is that it seemed more logical that way to me.
The website isn't really tied to the mesa release-schedule, apart from
linking to new releases. It's really its own thing. We might for
instance want to post updates when other projects in the mesa-group
cuts a release. So this seems to give us some more freedom.

If someone has good arguments against this, I'm open to changing it.
But this seems like the best option to me.

3. Last but not least, I've been discussing deployment timeline with a
few stakeholders, and want to hijack this thread for bringing all of
these in the loop.

As far as I know, what's left to do is:
- Set up NGINX redirects for mesa3d.org/archive/* ->
- Wait for the go-signal from Mesa release-managers (read below)
- Update and merge 
- Update and merge 
- Switch over the DNS to point to the GitLab pages host

Eric told me that Thursdays would generally be the best option for
doing the switch-over, right after cutting a release. This would give
us the most time to correct any fallouts until the next release cycle.

So, how do people feel about making the switch-over tomorrow? Is that
too early? Maybe we should wait at least one more week?

Is there anything else I'm missing?

More information about the mesa-dev mailing list