[Mesa-dev] Rust drivers in Mesa

Alexander Schlichte schlichte.alexander at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:51:44 UTC 2020

On 02.10.20 08:14, Dave Airlie wrote:
> My feeling is the pieces that would benefit the most are the things
> touch the real world, GLSL compiler, SPIR-V handling, maybe some of
> the GL API space, but I also feel these are the messiest things to
> move to rust. I'm not sure you'd get much benefit from vulkan API
> space or touching kernel interfaces as much. Granted a backend
> compiler might be the easiest place to experiment.
>
> I think the problem is you really want to justify that whatever you
> introduce using rust is sufficiently better along any axis than c/c++
> to justify the enhanced build time requirements and maintenance,
> otherwise someone will just rewrite it in C/C++ to avoid having to
> pull a rust compiler into their distro requires.

Note that Firefox already requires rust to build for three years [1], so any
distro shipping a supported version of Firefox has the rust compiler available.
The LTS branch of Firefox is currently at version 78 and thus requires at least
rust 1.41.

[1]https://wiki.mozilla.org/Rust_Update_Policy_for_Firefox