[Mesa-dev] Rust drivers in Mesa

Michael Shigorin mike at altlinux.org
Sun Oct 4 21:08:46 UTC 2020

On Sun, Oct 04, 2020 at 08:24:08PM +0200, Alexander Schlichte wrote:
> >> For one, I'm porting ALT Linux onto e2k platform
> >> (there's only an early non-optimizing version of
> >> Rust port there by now), and we're maintaining repos
> >> for aarch64, armv7hf, ppc64el, mipsel, and riscv64 either
> >> -- none of which seem to be described as better than
> >> "experimental" at http://doc.rust-lang.org/core/arch page
> >> in terms of Rust support.
> The correct page to check for platform support would be [1].

Thank you, that's the page I've been searching for but somehow
failed to find it again (seen it before).

> From what I could find, both gcc and llvm appear to lack
> support for e2k, so that's indeed problematic for the time
> being.

It's being worked on but not there yet from what I've heard.

My point was that exotic languages _can_ provide choke points,
e.g. pandoc written in Haskell might have been a brilliant
"killer app" idea for someone but it's not trivial to bootstrap
ghc just about anywhere new either.  It's easy enough to forget
that while going mainstream (I've noted Alyssa's ARM laptop
remark though).

> As for the other architectures you mentioned, those should
> correspond to:
[...]
> riscv64gc-unknown-linux-gnu

Good it's there, even if it's harder to actually run Radeon
with e.g. SiFive these days than on e2k.

Thank you (and Jacob) for details and the links.

--
 ---- WBR, Michael Shigorin / http://altlinux.org
  ------ http://opennet.ru / http://anna-news.info