[Mesa-dev] Rust drivers in Mesa

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Oct 12 23:22:26 UTC 2020

On Thu, Oct 1, 2020 at 6:36 PM Alyssa Rosenzweig
<alyssa.rosenzweig at collabora.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Recently I've been thinking about the potential for the Rust programming
> language in Mesa. Rust bills itself a safe system programming language
> with comparable performance to C [0], which is a naturally fit for
> graphics driver development.
>
> Mesa today is written primarily in C, a notoriously low-level language,
> with some components in C++. To handle the impedance mismatch, we've
> built up a number of abstractions in-tree, including multiple ad hoc
> code generators (GenXML, NIR algebraic passes, Bifrost disassembler). A
> higher level language can help avoid the web of metaprogramming and
> effect code that is simpler and easier to reason about. Similarly, a
> better type system can aid static analysis.
>
> Beyond abstraction, Rust's differentiating feature is the borrow checker
> to guarantee memory safety. Historically, safety has not been a primary
> concern of graphics drivers, since drivers are implemented as regular
> userspace code running in the process of the application calling them.
> Unfortunately, now that OpenGL is being exposed to untrusted code via
> WebGL, the driver does become an attack vector.
>
> For the time being, Mesa attempts to minimize memory bugs with defensive
> programming, safe in-tree abstractions (including ralloc), and static
> analysis via Coverity. Nevertheless, these are all heuristic solutions.
> Static analysis is imperfect and in our case, proprietary software.
> Ideally, the bugs we've been fixing via Coverity could be caught at
> compile-time with a free and open source toolchain.
>
> As Rust would allow exactly this, I see the primary benefit of Rust in
> verifying correctness and robustness, rather than security concerns per
> se.  Indeed, safety guarantees do translate well beyond WebGL.
>
> Practically, how would Rust fit in with our existing C codebase?
> Obviously I'm not suggesting a rewrite of Mesa's more than 15 million
> lines of C. Instead, I see value in introducing Rust in targeted parts
> of the tree. In particular, I envision backend compilers written in part
> in Rust. While creating an idiomatic Rust wrapper for NIR or Gallium
> would be prohibitively costly for now, a backend compiler could be
> written in Rust with IR builders exported for use of the NIR -> backend
> IR translator written in C.
>
> This would have minimal impact on the tree. Users that are not building
> such a driver would be unaffected. For those who _are_ building Rust
> code, the Rust compiler would be added as a build-time dependency and
> the (statically linked) Rust standard library would be added as a
> runtime dependency. There is concern about the Rust compiler requiring
> LLVM as a dependency, but again this is build-time, and no worse than
> Mesa already requiring LLVM as a runtime dependency for llvmpipe and
> clover. As for the standard library, it is possible to eliminate the
> dependency as embedded Rust does, perhaps calling out to the C standard
> [...]

Since the majority opinion seemed to be "if someone wanted to use it
in a leaf node without making everyone use it, that's fine", I've
started trying to put together the CI bits necessary to enable it.
Currently fighting with meson cross files a bit, but the linting works
and the amd64 build works.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/anholt/mesa/-/commits/ci-rust