[Mesa-dev] Rust drivers in Mesa

Alyssa Rosenzweig alyssa.rosenzweig at collabora.com
Wed Oct 14 22:14:13 UTC 2020

> Yep. Before we can land a single bit of code, we need to do a bunch of
> annoying things like build-system integration, FFI bridging, agreeing
> on conventions and style, etc etc. Trying to do that whilst also
> replacing the GLSL compiler or vtn is way too much; it's 100% doomed
> to failure, even if they're the highest-value targets on some axes.

For some data points, Eric started working on build system integration
(see below email). FFI will depend greatly on the component in question.
For a greenfield backend compiler that does NIR -> backed IR in C and
exposes the backend IR builders from Rust over a C ABI, there's little
in the way of FFI work needed to go. Conventions and style are easy --
go with rustfmt, the language is quite opinionated so we can quit
quibbling and get coding :)