[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Linux Graphics Next: Explicit fences everywhere and no BO fences - initial proposal

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Tue Apr 20 20:32:47 UTC 2021

Hi,

On Tue, 20 Apr 2021 at 20:30, Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> The thing is, you can't do this in drm/scheduler. At least not without
> splitting up the dma_fence in the kernel into separate memory fences
> and sync fences

I'm starting to think this thread needs its own glossary ...

I propose we use 'residency fence' for execution fences which enact
memory-residency operations, e.g. faulting in a page ultimately depending
on GPU work retiring.

And 'value fence' for the pure-userspace model suggested by timeline
semaphores, i.e. fences being (*addr == val) rather than being able to look
at ctx seqno.

Cheers,
Daniel