[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Linux Graphics Next: Explicit fences everywhere and no BO fences - initial proposal

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:01:20 UTC 2021

On Tue, Apr 27, 2021 at 1:35 PM Simon Ser <contact at emersion.fr> wrote:

> On Tuesday, April 27th, 2021 at 7:31 PM, Lucas Stach <l.stach at pengutronix.de> wrote:
>
> > > Ok. So that would only make the following use cases broken for now:
> > >
> > > - amd render -> external gpu
> > > - amd video encode -> network device
> >
> > FWIW, "only" breaking amd render -> external gpu will make us pretty
> > unhappy
>
> I concur. I have quite a few users with a multi-GPU setup involving
> AMD hardware.
>
> Note, if this brokenness can't be avoided, I'd prefer a to get a clear
> error, and not bad results on screen because nothing is synchronized
> anymore.

It's an upcoming requirement for windows[1], so you are likely to
start seeing this across all GPU vendors that support windows.  I
think the timing depends on how quickly the legacy hardware support
sticks around for each vendor.

Alex

[1] - https://devblogs.microsoft.com/directx/hardware-accelerated-gpu-scheduling/