[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Linux Graphics Next: Explicit fences everywhere and no BO fences - initial proposal

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Tue Apr 27 18:38:35 UTC 2021

On Tue, 27 Apr 2021 at 22:06, Christian König
<ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct, we wouldn't have synchronization between device with and without user queues any more.
>
> That could only be a problem for A+I Laptops.

Since I think you mentioned you'd only be enabling this on newer
chipsets, won't it be a problem for A+A where one A is a generation
behind the other?

I'm not really liking where this is going btw, seems like a ill
thought out concept, if AMD is really going down the road of designing
hw that is currently Linux incompatible, you are going to have to
accept a big part of the burden in bringing this support in to more
than just amd drivers for upcoming generations of gpu.

Dave.