[Mesa-dev] Linux Graphics Next: Userspace submission update

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Wed Jun 2 09:34:28 UTC 2021

Yes, we can't break anything because we don't want to complicate things for
us. It's pretty much all NAK'd already. We are trying to gather more
knowledge and then make better decisions.

The idea we are considering is that we'll expose memory-based sync objects
to userspace for read only, and the kernel or hw will strictly control the
memory writes to those sync objects. The hole in that idea is that
userspace can decide not to signal a job, so even if userspace can't
overwrite memory-based sync object states arbitrarily, it can still decide
not to signal them, and then a future fence is born.

Marek