[Mesa-dev] Linux Graphics Next: Userspace submission update

Daniel Vetter daniel at ffwll.ch
Thu Jun 3 10:03:27 UTC 2021

On Thu, Jun 03, 2021 at 04:20:18AM -0400, Marek Olšák wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 3, 2021 at 3:47 AM Daniel Vetter <daniel at ffwll.ch> wrote:

> > things

> > control
> > can't

> > so

> > with

> > work

> > suggestion
> > of
> > > >

> > > Going internal again is probably a good idea to spare you the long
> > > discussions and not waste your time, but we haven't talked about the
> > > dma_fence stuff internally other than acknowledging that it can be
> > solved.
> > >
> > > The compute use case already uses the hw as-is with no inter-process
> > > sharing, which mostly keeps the kernel out of the picture. It uses
> > glFinish
> > > to sync with GL.
> > >
> > > The gfx use case needs new hardware logic to support implicit and
> > explicit
> > > sync. When we propose a solution, it's usually torn apart the next day by
> > > ourselves.
> > >
> > > Since we are talking about next hw or next next hw, preemption should be
> > > better.
> > >
> > > user queue = user-mapped ring buffer
> > >
> > > For implicit sync, we will only let userspace lock access to a buffer
> > via a
> > > user queue, which waits for the per-buffer sequence counter in memory to
> > be
> > > another command, which increments the per-buffer sequence counter in
> > memory
> > > with atomic_inc regardless of the number assigned by the kernel. The
> > kernel
> > > counter and the counter in memory can be out-of-sync, and I'll explain
> > why
> > > it's OK. If a process increments the kernel counter but not the memory
> > > counter, that's its problem and it's the same as a GPU hang caused by
> > that
> > > process. If a process increments the memory counter but not the kernel
> > > counter, the ">=" condition alongside atomic_inc guarantee that
> > signaling n
> > > will signal n+1, so it will never deadlock but also it will effectively
> > > disable synchronization. This method of disabling synchronization is
> > > similar to a process corrupting the buffer, which should be fine. Can you
> > > find any flaw in it? I can't find any.
> >
> > Hm maybe I misunderstood what exactly you wanted to do earlier. That kind
> > of "we let userspace free-wheel whatever it wants, kernel ensures
> > correctness of the resulting chain of dma_fence with reset the entire
> > context" is what I proposed too.
> >
> > Like you say, userspace is allowed to render garbage already.
> >
> > > The explicit submit can be done by userspace (if there is no
> > > synchronization), but we plan to use the kernel to do it for implicit
> > sync.
> > > Essentially, the kernel will receive a buffer list and addresses of wait
> [...]

Yeah I think that's not going to work too well, and is too many piled up
hacks. Within a drm_file fd you can do whatever you feel like, since it's
just one client.

But once implicit sync kicks in I think you need to go with dma_fence and
drm/scheduler to handle the dependencies, and tdr kicking it. With the
dma_fence you do know who's the offender - you might not know why, but
that doesn't matter, you just shred the entire context and let that
userspace figure out the details.

I think trying to make memory fences work as implicit sync directly,
without wrapping them in a dma_fence and assorted guarantees, will just
not work.

And once you do wrap them in dma_fence, then all the other problems go
away: cross-driver sync, syncfiles, ... So I really don't see the benefit
of this half-way approach.

Yes there's going to be a tad bit of overhead, but that's already there in
the current model. And it can't hurt to have a bit of motivation for
compositors to switch over to userspace memory fences properly.
-Daniel
--
Daniel Vetter
Software Engineer, Intel Corporation