[Mesa-dev] Linux Graphics Next: Userspace submission update

Christian König ckoenig.leichtzumerken at gmail.com
Fri Jun 4 11:27:15 UTC 2021

Am 04.06.21 um 10:57 schrieb Daniel Vetter:
> On Fri, Jun 04, 2021 at 09:00:31AM +0200, Christian König wrote:

>>> I looked again, and you said the model wont work because preemption is way
>>> too slow, even when the context is idle.
>>>
>>> I guess at that point I got maybe too fed up and just figured "not my
>>> problem", but if preempt is too slow as the unload fence, you can do it
>>> with pte removal and tlb shootdown too (that is hopefully not too slow,
>>> otherwise your hw is just garbage and wont even be fast for direct submit
>>> compute workloads).
>> Have you seen that one here:
>> https://www.spinics.net/lists/amd-gfx/msg63101.html :)
>>
>> I've rejected it because I think polling for 6 seconds on a TLB flush which
>> can block interrupts as well is just madness.
> Hm but I thought you had like 2 tlb flush modes, the shitty one (with
> retrying page faults) and the not so shitty one?

Yeah, we call this the lightweight and the heavyweight tlb flush.

The lighweight can be used when you are sure that you don't have any of
the PTEs currently in flight in the 3D/DMA engine and you just need to
invalidate the TLB.

The heavyweight must be used when you need to invalidate the TLB *AND*
make sure that no concurrently operation moves new stuff into the TLB.

The problem is for this use case we have to use the heavyweight one.

> But yeah at that point I think you just have to bite one of the bullets.

Yeah, completely agree. We can choose which way we want to die, but it's
certainly not going to be nice whatever we do.

> [...]
>>>     exactly like compute workload with direct submit, except that you just
>>>     terminate the context on _any_ page fault, instead of only those that go
>>>     somewhere where there's really no mapping and repair the others.
>>>
>>>     Also I guess from reading the old thread this means you'd disable page
>>>     fault retry because that is apparently also way too slow for anything.
>>>
>>> - memory management uses an unload fence. That unload fences waits for all
>>>     userspace memory fences (represented as dma_fence) to complete, with
>>>     maybe some fudge to busy-spin until we've reached the actual end of the
>>>     ringbuffer (maybe you have a IB tail there after the memory fence write,
>>>     we have that on intel hw), and it waits for the memory to get
>>>     "unloaded". This is either preemption, or pte clearing + tlb shootdown,
>>>     or whatever else your hw provides which is a) used for dynamic memory
>>>     management b) fast enough for actual memory management.
>>>
>>> - any time a context dies we force-complete all it's pending fences,
>>>     in-order ofc
>>>
>>> So from hw pov this looks 99% like direct userspace submit, with the exact
>>> same mappings, command sequences and everything else. The only difference
>>> is that the rinbuffer head/tail updates happen from drm/scheduler, instead
>>> of directly from userspace.
>>>
>>> None of this stuff needs funny tricks where the kernel controls the
>>> writes to memory fences, or where you need kernel ringbuffers, or anything
>>> like thist. Userspace is allowed to do anything stupid, the rules are
>>> guaranteed with:
>>>
>>> - we rely on the hw isolation features to work, but _exactly_ like compute
>>>     direct submit would too
>>>
>>> - dying on any page fault captures memory management issues
>>>
>>> - dying (without kernel recover, this is up to userspace if it cares) on
>>>     any tdr makes sure fences complete still

>>> I think if you really want to make sure the current linux stack doesn't
>>> break the _only_ option you have is provide a ctx mode that allows
>>> dma_fence and drm/scheduler to be used like today.
>> Yeah, but I still can just tell our hw/fw guys that we really really need to
>> keep kernel queues or the whole Linux/Android infrastructure needs to get a
>> compatibility layer like you describe above.
>>
>>> For everything else it sounds you're a few years too late, because even
>>> just huge kernel changes wont happen in time. Much less rewriting
>>> userspace protocols.
>> Seconded, question is rather if we are going to start migrating at some
>> point or if we should keep pushing on our hw/fw guys.
> So from what I'm hearing other hw might gain the sw compat layer too. Plus
> I'm hoping that with the sw compat layer it'd be easier to smooth over
> userspace to the new model (because there will be a long time where we
> have to support both, maybe even with a runtime switch from userspace
> memory fences to dma_fence kernel stuff).
>
> But in the end it's up to you what makes more sense between sw work and

I'm currently entertaining my head a bit with the idea of implementing
the HW scheduling on the CPU.

The only obstacle that I can really see is that we might need to unmap a
page in the CPU page table when a queue becomes idle.

But apart from that it would give us the required functionality, just
without the hardware scheduler.

Christian.