[Mesa-dev] Deleting Android.mk

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Sun Jun 13 20:47:47 UTC 2021

All,

I've had a MR open to delete Android.mk in its entirety for a while
[1].  This was initially motivated by Google's success doing
meson-based NDK builds of Mesa for the Android container in ChromeOS.
When I posted !9728, a number of developers raised their hands saying
they were still using in-Android-tree builds and they didn't like the
NDK build option for various reasons.  After a bunch of very good work
by Roman Stratiienko and others, !10183 [2] was produced which allows
the normal Android build system to invoke meson and use the generated
Ninja file to build.  Now that we have mechanisms in place to build on
Android with meson both via the NDK and in-Android-tree, I'd like to
go ahead with the removal of Android.mk.

To that end, I'm asking for ACKs or NAKs on !9728.  I'd really
appreciate ACKs from all the major Android stake-holders.  I intend to
merge it this coming Friday (June 18th) unless we get a good reason to
do otherwise.  If you've got a good reason (it'd better be good enough
to justify 12k LOC), please raise it by replying to this e-mail or
starting a thread on !9728.

Thanks,

--Jason Ekstrand

 [1]: https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/9728