[Mesa-dev] docs: consistent language

Erik Faye-Lund erik.faye-lund at collabora.com
Mon Mar 15 12:44:18 UTC 2021

TLDR; I'm proposing to standardize on US English in our public-facing
documentation.

I proposed an MR a while back that changed the only occurrence of the
UK English spelling "optimisation" for the US English spelling
"optimization", which is already used 34 times in the docs. I've done
similar changes in the past.

But this time Ian brought up the good point that picking a preferred
language should probably be done using group consensus on the mailing
list than just picking what's currently most popular.

So, I hereby propose to pick US English as our default language for
user-facing documentation.

I'm not proposing to force anyone to use a particular English variant
for things like comments, commit messages or variable names. I don't
think there's much value in enforcing that, and I think it'd be
perfectly fine if any particular driver wanted to pick a particular
variant of English.

The main reason I want to standardize on an English variant is that I'm
trying create a word-list for domain-specific/technical language to
detect spelling mistakes in the docs more easily. And not having to add
both US and UK English words makes this list easier to maintain. I'm
not planning on going 100% systematically though the dictionary to
detect UK English words that might be in my system dictionary, just to
fix the words that currently cause me (a tiny amount of) pain ;)

The main reason why I'm proposing US English over for instance UK
English is that this seems to be the dominant variant currently in the
documentation. So it seems like the pragmatic choice to me.

Thoughts? Any objections to sticking to US English in the docs?

The MR in question:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/8572

Ian's response:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/mesa/-/merge_requests/8572#note_808593