[Mesa-dev] docs: consistent language

Erik Faye-Lund erik.faye-lund at collabora.com
Tue Mar 16 10:32:03 UTC 2021

On Tue, 2021-03-16 at 10:06 +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
> On Mon, 15 Mar 2021 at 20:54, Jason Ekstrand <jason at jlekstrand.net>
> wrote:
> > Three comments:
> >
> >  1. +1
> >  2. Khronos has generally standardized on American English in their
> > specs so I guess that provides some sort of prior art or something.
> >  3. I'd generally be a fan of encouraging American spellings in
> > common
> > code as well.  As someone who doesn't use auto-complete, having to
> > remember which variable is named "color" and which is "colour"
> > would
> > get painful.  Fortunately, we don't have a whole lot of variation
> > here
> > but it'd be good to keep consistency.
> >

> 4. UK English is unarguably correct and better.

Actually, strike all of the above, and let's write all docs in
Norwegian Bokmål instead. Or even better, Esperanto!

> 5. That doesn't change point #3 in particular; just like coding
> style, one 'bad' choice is better than no choice at all.

Yeah, so I don't oppose consistent language in code and comments
either, but I suspect that's a bit harder to change or get agreement
on.

For instance, it seems both Panfrost and Nouveau use quite a bit of UK
English, whereas AFAICT most other drivers use mostly US English
(mostly based on grepping for "color" vs "colour", so a very flawed
metric indeed, but whatever).

I simply don't want to hold back a decision about the docs due to
something that might be harder to agree about. Color me self-serving
here, I guess ;)