[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Concrete proposal to split classic

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Tue Mar 23 13:39:48 UTC 2021

On Tuesday, March 23, 2021 6:28:23 AM PDT Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> On March 23, 2021 01:46:54 Kenneth Graunke <kenneth at whitecape.org> wrote:
[snip]
> > One extra thought: can we also fork off anv Gen7.x support at the same
> > time?  If distros are already going to be building i965 for Gen7.x from
> > that branch, building Vulkan from there should be easy as well.
>
> I'm not sure how I feel about that one. Here are some thoughts:
>
>  1. I'd love to have it out of the way
>  2. Unlike i965, it is still picking up features. Part of what makes
> dropping i965 a reasonable idea is that OpenGL is also in maintenance mode.
> Vulkan isn't.
>  3. Generally, things are architected well enough that relocations aren't a
> problem.
>  4. Being able to always do batch chaining would be nice.
>  5. The only new feature still in development for i965 is
> GL_EXT_external_objects. That would be more reliable if Gen7 ANV and i965
> were in the same branch.
>  6. If crocus gets GL_EXT_external_objects, it'll be better if Gen7 ANV is
> in the master branch.
>  7. I'd love to stop caring about vec4.

Point 2 is true.  I'm not sure I agree about 3, the anv execbuf handling
is a lot more complicated than I think it needs to be.

It would be really nice to cull vec4 and MRF support from the compiler
as well---and all of the vec4/fs code sharing and base classes.  That
would be really nice.  But, I guess that if crocus comes into existence,
then we need all that again.  That's unfortunate :(

--Ken